Healthy Aging Month is an annual health celebration designed to focus national attention on the positive aspects of growing older. Started by Carolyn Worthington, editor-in-chief of Health Aging Magazine, the observance is used to provide inspiration and ideas to improve our physical, mental, social, and financial well being as we age.
Here are some tips for having a healthy and active lifestyle at any age.
- Surround yourself with happy and energetic people.
- Choose to be positive in your conversations and your actions each day.
- Flash those pearly whites. Smile often. It’s contagious. Visit the dentist on a regular basis. Your teeth are important to your overall health.
- Stand up straight. Good posture will make you feel better and take a few years off of your appearance.
- Don’t forget to walk and exercise to stay fit and healthy and to relieve stress.
- Volunteer your time at a local hospital, school, or animal shelter. Helping others is a great reward.
- Have some extra time? Pick up a new hobby such as music lessons, art classes, or playing a sport. Join a book club or start a collection. It’s never too late to learn something new or add some fun and excitement to your life.
- Make Healthy Aging Month a reminder for your annual physical and health screenings.
Author George Bernard Shaw said, “You don’t stop laughing when you grow old, you grow old when you stop laughing.” To stay youthful, we must repeatedly reinvent ourselves and find new ways to lead a more healthy and positive way of life.