If you want to keep the doctor away, you may want to consider a banana instead of an apple. Bananas are:
- The fruit of champions. Containing the natural sugars sucrose, fructose and glucose plus fiber, bananas are the perfect energy food. 2 bananas generate enough energy to get through a strenuous 90-minute workout.
- Comfort food. The tryptophan in bananas is converted into serotonin by the body, which helps improve mood. Bananas also contain vitamin B6, which soothes the nervous system.
- Good for the blood. Bananas are high in iron and potassium but low in salt, making them ideal snacks for those with anemia and high blood pressure.
- Easy on the stomach. High in fiber yet with a soft smooth texture, bananas aid with constipation, heartburn, morning sickness, and ulcers.
- Brain food. The potassium in bananas helps keep you alert, a boost when you need extra brain power.
- Mosquito repellants. Don’t throw away the skin when you’re done—the inside of a banana skin is said to soothe the irritation and swelling of insect bites.
- Bananas are inexpensive and available year-round.
For your health, peel away!