Food comes in a rainbow of colors and eating the full variety of them can have great health benefits. Green foods get a lot of deserved press, but one underrated food color is purple. A chemical called anthocyanin is what causes this coloring. It ranges from purple to deep blue, black, and red. This natural chemical provides many health benefits.
• Urinary tract health: Cranberries are a staple remedy for UTI. It turns out the anthocyanin is to thank for that.
• Stomach health: The purple chemical helps fight certain bacteria responsible for stomach ulcers.
• Heart health: Purple foods can reduce LDL levels while raising HDL.
• Liver health: Purple foods help reduce fat levels in the liver.
• Boost immune system: Purple foods pack a lot of antioxidants.
These are just a few of the health benefits purple foods provide. Blueberries, blackberries, cherries, grapes, eggplant, purple cabbage, black rice, purple carrots, and purple/red potatoes are all great purple foods to incorporate into one’s diet. A healthy, balanced diet leads to many health benefits, and purple foods can help greatly.