Some hearing loss is expected as we grow older. However, for some people, that hearing loss can interfere with everyday life. How does a person know when it’s time to get his or her hearing checked?
The following are signs that a hearing check is in order:
• Thinking that everyone sounds like they are mumbling
• Being told that the TV volume they prefer is too loud
• Trouble understanding conversations in a group
• Hearing people speak, but not being able to understand what they are saying
• Frequently needing to ask people to repeat what they said
• Having trouble hearing what women and children are saying
Having more than one of these issues can suggest hearing loss that negatively affects daily living. An audiologist would be the person to consult for hearing problems. He or she will be able to assess if hearing aids are needed.